What is up with thee!
“The Shakespeare” lost its Temple Street address when Victoria Street was built in the early 1870s. Erected in 1636, (during the reign of Charles 1st) the building is first listed as a public house in 1844. Isaac Bush was at this address in 1841 but trading as a milkman. Our pub was originally named ‘The’ Shakespeare, and became
‘Ye’ Shakespeare early in the twentieth century. From between the mid to late 1800s it has been called “The Old Shakespeare Inn” and just “Shakespeare Inn”.
The original ‘Elizabethan’ style building (though built in the reign of Charles 1st) took on the mock Tudor (1458-1553) beams from 1900s onwards. Which is actually historically incorrect as William Shakespeare, (1564-1616), was definitely Elizabethan (1558-1603). Our pub is now a Grade II listed building.
Contact us to book a table for any occasion. We accept reservations for up to 20 people.